[meteorite-list] Denver Show 2001 - Part 3

From: Mark Bostick <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:18 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.62EB6B60

Fred Hall , who is one of the Denver Comets and an illustrador for =
Voyage!, was in the area that was labeled "Meteorite Hall" and was =
selling a varity of offerings. He carried many hard to find meteorite =
books and several specimans for collectors of different budgets. Fred =
and his girlfriend were very pleasant and friendly. One of the items for =
sale here was a nice dinosaur painting that a kid had tried to buy for =
$5.00. Sorry, the painting was $495.00, not $4.95. On display but not =
for sale where a few meteorites..I think all Sikhotes...that had neat =
shapes. One looked very much like a bear and another make the perfect =
bottercap opener and shows meteorites can be usefull household tools. I =
give Fred Hall the award for "Friendliest Meteorite Seller in Denver =
2001".

Not far from Hall was Jensen's Meteorites, Mike and William Jensen. Mike =
Jensen, a very good people person, was manning the booth while William =
Jensen could be found wandering the show. Here I picked up a case of =
small generic rikers ($1.90 each), a few micromounts and a Handbook to =
North Dakota Meteorites ($7.00). The Jensen's had a shelfcase of =
meteorite books for sale including a couple Hardbound Rocks From Space, =
The Catalog of Meteorites, Nininger's Out of the Sky and several others. =
For this effort they receive the award for "Best Collection of Meteorite =
books at the Denver 2001". A meteorite book collector I am unsure how I =
walked out of there.=20

Something that should not have been missed by fellow meteorites =
collectors were several cabinet displays by two of the Comets members. =
One display by Fred Hall had a very nice selection of Colorado =
Meteorites which included thin sections and polarized photos. While =
Andrew Abraham displayed a well rounded collection of stones, =
achondrites, aubrites, iron, stony-irons along with a nice moon =
speciman.=20

This area was mostly without meteorite dealers so it was back to the =
Holiday Inn where I mostly just "hung around" the dealer rooms untill it =
was time to go to the party.

Prices around the show as follows: Meteorite Thin Section starting at =
$40.00, Gubara everywhere for $0.50 to $1.00 a gram. Esqual in small =
polished slices for $35.00 a gram. Imilac polished slices $25.00 a gram. =
Cape York a low $2.50 a gram. Breham $3.00 to $5.00 a gram. Kapeto =
(Howardite) $600.00 a gram, Allende $5.00 to $8.00 a gram, Canyon Diable =
$.75-$1.00 a gram, Gibeon $0.50-1.00 a gram, unclassified numbered NWA's =
$0.45 a gram, classified $.50 to $1.00 depending on weathering grade and =
dealer. Tektites varied greatly in price. Rizzite Tektites at $.50 a =
gram for dumbdells and $1.00 a gram for large spheres. Lots of =
Sikhote-Alin with price ranges from $.30 a gram to $2.00 a gram =
depending on shape, size, and what dealer room you were in. Moon =
specimans where at a new low of $3,000 a gram and Mars specimans =
starting at $280.00 a gram. (Just think gold is around $10.00 a gram.)

Meteorite Impactite was almost missing from the show, ( I saw one =
Beaverhead shattercone and Sudbury slices but no others.) No =
australites. Very little of the once common metals (Gibeon, Canyon =
Diablo, and Odessa).=20

Two most common things...yep you guess it Sikhote's and African =
meteorites. Look for it to remain that way for a while.

Saturday night it was the party at La Loma's. Chips, dip, and other =
mexican finger food were provided by the Comets. We had two rooms saved, =
but managed to all squeeze in one. This was a great chance for everyone =
to chat. I did not hear New York brought up even once, but I am sure it =
was on all of our minds.=20

La Loma's is well known for their Margarita's and I now know why. Their =
large ones are at least 32 oz. The food was slow and good but I could =
eat very little.=20

Fred Hall with daughter and girlfriend, along with Dean Bessey sat by me =
and my brother at one end of the longest table. Down the table seats =
were filled with many well known meteorite dealers. Hall's girlfriend =
seemed very nice and his daughter helped entertain us with her mexican =
jumping bean. At one point the daugther asked me if I like "Willie Wonka =
and the Chocolate Factory". In which I replied by singing a chorus of =
the Oompa Loompa chat, in which she joined along.=20

We were also entertained by one of the party attendee's standing on the =
table and saying "Hey everybody watch this." He then proceeded to blow =
up a skinny balloon over two feet long. After insuring he had our =
attention, which wasn't hard, he forced the ballon down his month. =
Gulfing down the last of it, he annouced "Anybody who would like to see =
the balloon come out come back in 3 hours and pay $10.00."

The party was now starting to part and I was tired while my brother was =
wanting to go dancing so we called it a night.=20

Sunday was finishing deals and backtracking where I picked up several =
more items including , small Nantans, trilobites, about 10 kilos of =
morrocans,.and packing the car for our return trip. The trip is an 8 =
hour drive and we wanted to leave by noon. At one o'clock, the car trunk =
empty on the way down was now full. We were ready and homebound. One =
o'clock in Denver is two o'clock in Wichita so we had a road trip ahead =
of us that would fill the day.=20

It was nice to have a break from this week of mourning. The terrorist =
attack the horrible tuesday morning before had a great effect on the =
event. Many collectors and some dealers, like the Labenne's, where =
grounded in other cities and did not make the event. Several dealers had =
shipments that did not arrive. The foreign sellers where most affected =
here. Our losses however where little to the thousands of New Yorkers =
and airline passangers that loss their life or loved ones. The brave =
rescue workers that gave their lives trying to save others will be in =
our hearts forever. The airline passengers that voted to rush the =
terrorists and the fireman hanging the flag on the broken Pentagon, =
unforgetable.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.62EB6B60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Fred Hall , who is one of the Denver Comets and an illustrador for =
Voyage!,=20
was in the area that was labeled "Meteorite Hall" and was selling a =
varity of=20
offerings. He carried many hard to find meteorite books and several =
specimans=20
for collectors of different budgets. Fred and his girlfriend were very =
pleasant=20
and friendly. One of the items for sale here was a nice dinosaur =
painting that a=20
kid had tried to buy for $5.00. Sorry, the painting was $495.00, not =
$4.95. On=20
display but not for sale where a few meteorites..I think all =
Sikhotes...that had=20
neat shapes. One looked very much like a bear and another make the =
perfect=20
bottercap opener and shows meteorites can be usefull household tools. I =
give=20
Fred Hall the award for "Friendliest Meteorite Seller in Denver =
2001".</P>
<P>Not far from Hall was Jensen's Meteorites, Mike and William Jensen. =
Mike=20
Jensen, a very good people person, was manning the booth while William =
Jensen=20
could be found wandering the show. Here I picked up a case of small =
generic=20
rikers ($1.90 each), a few micromounts and a Handbook to North Dakota =
Meteorites=20
($7.00). The Jensen's had a shelfcase of meteorite books for sale =
including a=20
couple Hardbound Rocks From Space, The Catalog of Meteorites, Nininger's =
Out of=20
the Sky and several others. For this effort they receive the award for =
"Best=20
Collection of Meteorite books at the Denver 2001". A meteorite book =
collector I=20
am unsure how I walked out of there. </P>
<P>Something that should not have been missed by fellow meteorites =
collectors=20
were several cabinet displays by two of the Comets members. One display =
by Fred=20
Hall had a very nice selection of Colorado Meteorites which included =
thin=20
sections and polarized photos. While Andrew Abraham</FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D3> </FONT><FONT size=3D2>displayed a well rounded collection of =
stones,=20
achondrites, aubrites, iron, stony-irons along with a nice moon =
speciman.=20
</FONT><BR></P><FONT size=3D2>
<P>This area was mostly without meteorite dealers so it was back to the =
Holiday=20
Inn where I mostly just "hung around" the dealer rooms untill it was =
time to go=20
to the party.</P>
<P>Prices around the show as follows: Meteorite Thin Section starting at =
$40.00,=20
Gubara everywhere for $0.50 to $1.00 a gram. Esqual in small polished =
slices for=20
$35.00 a gram. Imilac polished slices $25.00 a gram. Cape York a low =
$2.50 a=20
gram. Breham $3.00 to $5.00 a gram. Kapeto (Howardite) $600.00 a gram, =
Allende=20
$5.00 to $8.00 a gram, Canyon Diable $.75-$1.00 a gram, Gibeon =
$0.50-1.00 a=20
gram, unclassified numbered NWA's $0.45 a gram, classified $.50 to $1.00 =

depending on weathering grade and dealer. Tektites varied greatly in =
price.=20
Rizzite Tektites at $.50 a gram for dumbdells and $1.00 a gram for large =

spheres. Lots of Sikhote-Alin with price ranges from $.30 a gram to =
$2.00 a gram=20
depending on shape, size, and what dealer room you were in. Moon =
specimans where=20
at a new low of $3,000 a gram and Mars specimans starting at $280.00 a =
gram.=20
(Just think gold is around $10.00 a gram.)</P>
<P>Meteorite Impactite was almost missing from the show, ( I saw one =
Beaverhead=20
shattercone and Sudbury slices but no others.) No australites. Very =
little of=20
the once common metals (Gibeon, Canyon Diablo, and Odessa). </P>
<P>Two most common things...yep you guess it Sikhote's and African =
meteorites.=20
Look for it to remain that way for a while.</P>
<P>Saturday night it was the party at La Loma's. Chips, dip, and other =
mexican=20
finger food were provided by the Comets. We had two rooms saved, but =
managed to=20
all squeeze in one. This was a great chance for everyone to chat. I did =
not hear=20
New York brought up even once, but I am sure it was on all of our minds. =
</P>
<P>La Loma's is well known for their Margarita's and I now know why. =
Their large=20
ones are at least 32 oz. The food was slow and good but I could eat very =
little.=20
</P>
<P>Fred Hall with daughter and girlfriend, along with Dean Bessey sat by =
me and=20
my brother at one end of the longest table. Down the table seats were =
filled=20
with many well known meteorite dealers. Hall's girlfriend seemed very =
nice and=20
his daughter helped entertain us with her mexican jumping bean. At one =
point the=20
daugther asked me if I like "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". In =
which I=20
replied by singing a chorus of the Oompa Loompa chat, in which she =
joined along.=20
</P>
<P>We were also entertained by one of the party attendee's standing on =
the table=20
and saying "Hey everybody watch this." He then proceeded to blow up a =
skinny=20
balloon over two feet long. After insuring he had our attention, which =
wasn't=20
hard, he forced the ballon down his month. Gulfing down the last of it, =
he=20
annouced "Anybody who would like to see the balloon come out come back =
in 3=20
hours and pay $10.00."</P>
<P>The party was now starting to part and I was tired while my brother =
was=20
wanting to go dancing so we called it a night. </P>
<P>Sunday was finishing deals and backtracking where I picked up several =
more=20
items including , small Nantans, trilobites, about 10 kilos of =
morrocans,.and=20
packing the car for our return trip. The trip is an 8 hour drive and we =
wanted=20
to leave by noon. At one o'clock, the car trunk empty on the way down =
was now=20
full. We were ready and homebound. One o'clock in Denver is two o'clock =
in=20
Wichita so we had a road trip ahead of us that would fill the day. </P>
<P>It was nice to have a break from this week of mourning. The terrorist =
attack=20
the horrible tuesday morning before had a great effect on the event. =
Many=20
collectors and some dealers, like the Labenne's, where grounded in other =
cities=20
and did not make the event. Several dealers had shipments that did not =
arrive.=20
The foreign sellers where most affected here. Our losses however where =
little to=20
the thousands of New Yorkers and airline passangers that loss their life =
or=20
loved ones. The brave rescue workers that gave their lives trying to =
save others=20
will be in our hearts forever. The airline passengers that voted to rush =
the=20
terrorists and the fireman hanging the flag on the broken Pentagon,=20
unforgetable. </P></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.62EB6B60--