[meteorite-list] Late Entry For Meteorite Contest #6

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:18 2004

August 18, 2002

Greetings Mr. Mark Bostick and Fellow Meteorite
Enthusiasts!

What an interesting contest! Very original!

After much thought, I realized that to make a really
good contest suggestion in addition to having it aimed
towards all meteorite enthusiasts, regarding their
degree of meteoritic knowledge and collection size, is
to also have it be simple (with simple rules), about
an intriguing subject, and "entry inspiring."

1. What about a contest discussing one of the ultimate
questions that have attracted so many to this
mind-boggling hobby...

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE GREATEST MYSTERY OF
METEORITES... AND WHY?

DO YOU HAVE A THEORY THAT MAY CRACK IT?

When one gets to the bottom of it, we actually know so
little about those once drifting, mini-worlds. Just
take a thin section from any meteorite and present it
to the most knowledgeable scientist in the field. Ask
him or her to explain everything he or she can see.
He or she can't. He or she will soon tie his or her
tongue in knots!

This contest does not require a sophisticated
meteoritic puzzle, but any mystery that we know
little, or poorly about. One such entry could be
about why L6 chondrites are so common, or even why we
are not bombarded more with cataclysmic meteorites
(with the result of Mark Bostick being able to present
Meteorite Contest #6 to the list!)

2. A slightly different approach to this contest idea
is to have Mark Bostick choose the meteoritic mystery
that has baffled mankind for so long and have the
Meteorite-list propose the best solution (but not
necessarily the right one) to the puzzle. The result
may be some lively and very interesting discussion...
something many members might want to store in their
mailbox folders!

3. Lastly, one more contest idea that I will not let
go without mentioning deals with the great discovery
of Neuschwanstein...

WHAT DO YOU THINK IT WILL TURN OUT TO BE? AN H5? AN
E3? AN ANOMALOUS CHONDRITE?
(not required): EXPLAIN YOUR CONCLUSION!

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA