[meteorite-list] Homestead, H.O. Stockwell, Meteorite Hunting

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:22 2004

Good Evening List,

I have added a Meteorite Hunting page to my meteorite website that many of
you might find interesting. Although I have never met anyone from this list
in person, I feel that when I read about some your exploits hunting for
meteorites----I'm there with you in spirit at least. Medical issues and
finances don't allow me to pursue meteorite hunting like I would want to.
That's why I really appreciate reading about my fellow enthusiasts hunts.
...That Is also why I'm excited to share this with everyone. Here are three
highlights of the page.

1) My first meteorite hunt was with 3 other complete strangers, whom I never
met, but we all shared a love for meteorites. The story how we met is pretty
unusual. Our destination was the Homestead meteorite area. Not only did we
learn alot about each other, but you may find it interesting that the Main
Mass is still in Homestead and it's huge. The fragments listed in the
Catalogue of the World museums is nothing compared to what we found tucked
away in four room county museum in the Homestead area. The photo of this mass
alone is worth a trip to the website. Please feel free to download the pic
for your personal use / collection.

2) My second trip out. Looking for the Trenton meteorite in Wisconsin. A
meteorite friend made a copy of the famous (in meteorite circles) H.O.
Stockwell wheelbarrow metal detector. I also share with you where the
original H.O. Stockwell metal detector is now housed. Again the pictures are
interesting to anyone who wants to see what hunting meteorites was like in
the 1950's. My meteorite friend now owns the Haviland Crater / Brenham /
Kimberly Farm. More on this below.

3) My trip to the dry lake beds of Nevada. My visit to Area 51, was very
strange. My meteorite friend found a number of ice chunks along the highway.
Ice chunks in the desert? X-Files material here.

Hope you all enjoy the site. I will be adding pictures soon of my most recent
hunt with my daughter, who just left yesturday to go back to college. (sniff)
I miss her already...

There is also an interesting tidbit about the Brenham meteorite Haviland
Crater aka:, KIMBERLY farm. One of my fellow meteorite hunters bought that
farm from Ellis Peck, (Space Rocks and Buffalo Grass) to start a Ninninger
type museum. I have an update...at the website.

The site is: http://www.geocities.com/gangwise/meteoritehunting.html

CAVEAT: Geocities / YAHOO only allows me so much bandwith per month, so if
you get a message that the site is not available, that's the reason. If you
wait an hour, it resets, and will allow more views.

Enjoy the site,
my best to you all,

Steven L. Sachs IMCA #9210