[meteorite-list] Teenager Meteorite Impacts

From: peter scherff <peterscherff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:24 2004

Hi,

        I just listened to an interview of Siobhan Cowton on NPR's
morning edition. The interview definitely left the impression that she
was hit by a meteorite. The story is being treated as a human interest
item, not as a science story. Siobhan Cowton stated the she was told the
meteorite probably came from Mars (a scientist told her this after
looking at the rock). She also stated that she knew it is a meteorite
because it was hot when it hit her.
        The interviewer did state that the stone has not been proven to
be a meteorite. That proof will only come after chemical analysis. The
statement came across to me as the fine print at the bottom of a
contract.

        The story is not on NPR's web site yet.

Thanks,

Peter Scherff