[meteorite-list] Stony-Iron Nuggets

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:24 2004

Hello,

I recently recieved an e-mail on the Admire Pallasite crystals I have on
eBay. Basically asking why the Admire metal likes to rust away leaving
mostly just stained olivine crystals. In the e-mail the meteorite
collector, referred to the Imilac "skeletons" as an opposite. The metal
were the olivine has weathered away. Which brings me to the following....

The Esterville (MES) and the Glorietta Mountain (PAL) stony irons rained a
lot of metal nuggets. I traded for a few Glorietta Mountain iron nuggets a
few weeks ago and they appear quite stable (and do look a lot like
Taza...with less rust). Anyway it got me thinking that most of the imilac
"skeletons" might never had any olivine on them. That they might just be
the "nuggets" that have weathered. While I am sure that is not always the
case I was wondering if any one thinks this is possible.

Thanks, Mark