[meteorite-list] Lets rename the thread! (postoffice problems!)

From: meteorite1.com <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:25 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C25028.104D23C0

Someone wrote <<It does no good for a customer to request shipping via =
the USPS and then ask that a reduced value be declared>>

This raises both an ethical and legal problem. On U.S.P.O. =
International parcel post packages invoices are now supposed to =
accompany the package, and correct declarations made. (This does not =
apply to small air-letter packs). If not a new policy, I am told by the =
postoffice is nevertheless being more rigorously enforced, as of the =
last several months. Matteos problem with having to pay excessive =
customs fees, and the same for those in many other countries, is well =
understood and appreciated. This, though, poses a real problem, as =
well, for both buyer and seller when a client requests that a lesser or =
"no value" declaration be stated and then something is lost.

Its also a problem when the client asks for no insurance, and then =
understandably gets upset if and when the package gets lost. (This is =
human nature!) Since we usually underestimate actual postage anyway, =
and end up accepting the risk if that is acceptable, such as with small =
inexpensive or easily replaceable items (such as...uhem! our membrane =
boxes) paying the insurance ourselves, solves the immediate problem but =
probably is not the correct way to run a serious business. For us, the =
business exists to support a teaching museum collection in a college and =
some kind of profit margin is appreciated but not a pressing issue. =
Sometimes we just want material to study and then pass on at cost. For =
full-time businesses with only that single source of income, and unless =
they want negative cash-flow, their only alternative is to increase =
profit-margins with higher prices to cover such expenses or go out of =
business. =20
Ron
R. N. Hartman
METEORITES and MEMBRANE SUSPENSION BOXES

rnh_at_meteorite1.com
www.meteorite1.com

order_at_membranebox.com
www.membranebox.com