[meteorite-list] Help, I have alzheimers...

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:33 2004

Hi Dave, Robert V. and list,

David Freeman wrote:

Does anyone remember the U of Wyoming gentleman that posted to the list about four
years ago, he moved down to Georgia or the south.

Yes, I remember him. His name was Frank Stroik and he used to be a regular on here and
post to the list. As I remember it, he had offered up a booklet on meteorites he was
going to sell. Both another member on the list and I had signed up for his newsletter
about two years back prior to the booklet offer and hadn't received the first issue we
had paid for. It wasn't a lot of money but nothing was ever done to correct the first
problem. When he offered up the booklet, and this other member asked that he apply the
money he had sent for the newsletter for the booklet, I took note from being in the
same boat as I hadn't receive my issues either and asked for him to apply my
newsletter fees to the booklet for me. I was told it would go towards that but never
saw the booklet or a refund to this day now.

He also suggested that a meteorite that was bought from a private ranch, was stolen
from public lands in the state it was from causing a lot of hard, angry feelings from
people who had bought specimens from the dealer, some of which wanted a refund before
being made to realize the real truth that it was bought legitimately. An exchange
between the dealer and Frank were posted in an open forum, on this list so that all
the misinformation could be put to rest. (the danger of saying something without
knowing all the facts, to talk without thinking is to shoot without aiming :-)

He posted a lot of interesting items on the list, and was fairly knowledgeable but
dropped out after the above mentioned public occurrences happened. Another list member
as I remember, didn't think it was worthy being posted to the list even though money
was collected and no product provided. This list member often pokes his nose into
other peoples business though, where it doesn't belong :-)

Frank's email a couple years back was: "Frank Stroik" <autumnbreeze71_at_hotmail.com>
in case anyone might want to contact him or see if his booklets are ready :-)

--AL