[meteorite-list] Tektite Identification

From: James Tobin <jimmypaul_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:35 2004

    Hi list,
I seldom post, but could not resist this topic. The simplest test for
identification of tektites from any volcanic glasses no matter how
tektite-like they look; is to put a sliver in an oxy-acetylene flame and
see what happens. Volcanic glasses will froth into pumice instantly and
true tektite glass will do nothing but blind you from the incandescence. We
have posted pictures of this before. Anyone interested can ask off list and
I will send them pictures of samples that have been through this test.

The funniest part of this is even after you do the visual examinations and
other tests, when there is no doubt that the sample is ordinary obsidian or
something similar. Most of the senders will insist that they are going to
have more tests done. Because they "know" they are tektites. Just the same
way it goes with meteor-wrongs. They "know" it is a meteorite because
grandpa found it.

Paul and I are in the midst of an ongoing research program with Stephen
Pierce the staff geologist at Meteorite Times. He's taking absorption
spectra of many natural glasses and man-made glasses. We are preparing the
samples for him as thin two side polished flats. The result are very
interesting. If you have not read the first portion of the results you can
find the report in the back issues of Meteorite Times.

It may be months before I say anything again, so let me take this time to
wish you all a healthy and safe holiday season and new year full of joy.

Regards
    Jim Tobin
    jim_at_meteorite.com
    The Meteorite Exchange