[meteorite-list] Tektite identification criterion

From: N Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:35 2004

Jim and all,

Thanks for breaking solitude to reply. Your suggestion is a great one.
It's remarkable how many highly esoteric features can be indirectly assessed
by reasonably simple techniques. The torch test addresses the exceedingly
low volatile content of virtually all tektite glass which contrasts sharply
with virtually all terrestrial glass. For those of you that have been
following this discussion, Jim's test is certainly more universal and
diagnostic than the magnetic susceptibility test I described. Combine the
two, and you should have an answer that you can take to the bank.

If it were essential to take yet another step---as in the case where it
looks like you've got a candidate for a "new" tektite---- my next suggestion
would be thin-section petrography looking specifically for lechatelierite
(+) and microphenocrysts(-). While not a field test, this is still a
reasonably inexpensive step that is readily commercially available. There
are a few other glasses out there with lechatelierite, but if you've got a
low-volatile glass, devoid of crystallites, with reduced iron, and
containing lechatelierite "worms", I think the argument is all over. Do you
concerned folks agree?? Do you have additions, revisions, comments, or
corrections? I'd love to get the subject of tektite verification reduced to
a reasonably solid, simple formula.

P.S., Jim, please do send me the images you described. Thanks again.

Norm
TektiteSource.com