[meteorite-list] Re: Asteroid?

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:37 2004

Hi,

    Because of the great distance of the Sun from the Earth, the shadow of any object at
roughly the same distance from the Sun as the Earth is being projected by nearly parallel
rays. For all practical purposes, they are parallel rays. This means that the shadow of an
object, even one 10,000 miles away, is essentially the same size as the object itself.
    Of course, such a shadow will not have sharp edges because of scattered sunlight
entering the shadow cone. The shadow will have a dark center and a diffuse boundary. But
an area of shadow on a sunny cloudless day can hardly be attributed to anything else. Note
that an asteroid shadow from a round asteroid will only be round at local noon. At other
times, it will be elliptical because of projection on the Earth's surface at an angle.
    There are hundreds of such "shadow" reports from the eighteenth and nineteenth
centuries, but such a shadow is nearly impossible to document even with the full
electronic and optical resources of today. And they are fleeting phenomena.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for an asteroid to pass between you and the Moon or
watching for asteroid shadows. It's not that we don't have enough passing asteroids, it's
that the shadow path is a tiny momentary line on the Earth's surface. A few thousand feet
away and there would be no shadow. You have to be in exactly the right spot (and time).
    And, Ron is right, there are more planes flying over than there are asteroids... But
this is an argument in favor of the eighteenth and nineteenth century reports being
"real," at least some of them. Very few Boeing's flying in the year 1757!

Sterling K. Webb