[meteorite-list] Export permits and African meteorites

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:58 2004

Before I even start this post let me first say that this is not to be an
attack or anything even remotely resembling it in the least. If I even half
way come across like I'm doing that to anyone I apologize whole heartedly
and hope that you'll forgive me.
A few days ago Mike Farmer and Dean were arguing about export permits and
who may or may not have them. Personally, I don't really care that much.
I've bought from both you guys in the past and will in the future. I
recently got an email from Dr. Timothy McCoy at the Smithsonian. I was
trying to get some more Burnwell from him and offered some Dhofar 378 (a new
really cool Martian that I've got some of) to him. His response was that
the Smithsonian does not aquire any meteorites from all of Africa due to the
lack of export permits and possibly coming from nations that are unfriendly
with the US.
I promise that I'm not trying to start anything with this post but I did
think it relevant due to recent discussions. I also had always wondered why
you hardly ever see DaG's, Sahara's, and NWA's in large museum collections
and his email answered that for me.
Please do note that he did not mention any names in his email and like I
said before, I'm sorry if anyone thinks this is somehow an attack on anyone
because it is not and I hope that no one else out there uses what I've said
to start their own attack. I just thought that I would add a little bit of
information to a current discussion that's been going on.
Good evening,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal