[meteorite-list] bubbly tektites

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:02 2004

Hi, Graham and List,

    I was just waiting for the pissing match to end... if it ever does.
Meanwhile...
    Bubbles in tektites are not rare. In fact, there is an entire class of
tektites that is referred to as "bubble shards." These are the fragments of
tektites that were essentially no more than giant glass bubbles 20 to 50 mm
across (or larger). There are also tektites that are no more than a skin over an
intact bubble (rarer).
    You can do a quick sort for tektites that might contain large voids or
bubbles by simply dumping a bulk lot of tektites in a tub of water. A tektite
with a large void will float. Alternatively, just heft each tektite and set
aside for later density measurement those than feel much lighter than a tektite
its size ought to.
    In the case of bubble shards, the interior walls of former voids are
perfectly smooth and highly reflective. Such bubble shards appear to have been
broken recently (in collection) rather than anciently.
    Analysis of intact bubble tektites shows a very low internal pressure, about
the same as you would find about 25 miles above the Earth's surface. Most
analyses of the very small amount of gas found in intact voids show argon as the
predominant component, although there is one report of the detection of helium.
    Whether the gas is a "trapped" component or was produced by outgassing from
the material of the tektite is not known. Since many tektites are still plastic
when they reach the surface of the Earth, the bubble tektites must have cooled
to the point of material rigidity before re-entering the atmosphere, or they
would have collapsed. Since the cooling time to this temperature is quite long
in comparison to the supposed sub-orbital flight times of tektites produced by
an earth impact, this class of tektites must have had more evolved orbits than a
simple sub-orbital ballistic.
    Just one more of the many not-quite-explained characteristics of these
enigmatic objects.

Sterling K. Webb