[meteorite-list] CAIs in Ordinary Chondrites

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:02 2004

Feb. 9, 2002

Greetings Mr. Franco and Fellow Meteorite Enthusiasts!

Nice Picture! Nevertheless, the shiny, white clasts
in your scan resemble metallic iron-nickel grains ---
at least to me. If possible, you may want to try to
isolate a wee piece of the clasts in question and see
if it has any reaction to a drop of a dilute solution
of sulfuric, hydrochloric, or acetic acid (vinegar).
Examination under a microscope while conducting this
test may help catch any sign of fizzling.

Also, seeing whether or not the white areas are
malleable will of course help draw conclusions of a
metallic origin and not a product of weathering.

If they are truely metal grains, there may be more
than just iron-nickel and trace amounts of other
elements in them.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA