[meteorite-list] Hot Desert Meteorites

From: Greg Redfern <gredfern_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:05 2004

Amen, Bernd!

   I am very new to collecting meteorites but have loved them since my very
earliest days - a walk to the bottom of Meteor Crater and a passion for
astronomy will do that to you. It is as I said to Mark Miconi recently, how
incredible it is to own and touch a piece of the Universe. I am sure that
all list members would love to travel beyond our planet's atmosphere - but
never, ever will. So, the very best next thing is to bring a piece of
another world into your own home and hold it in your hands.

   Couple that with the ability to actually SEE the world it came from
through a telescope and "now your talkin'!" Hold a piece of NWA 482 and then
look at the Moon - no doubt as to where it came from. Look at an HST shot of
Mars and then look at DAG 476 - "it ain't from this planet, that's for
sure". Peer at the celestial dot that is Vesta and then look at a AEUC from
Australia - how alien but also how beautiful. It's beyond my wildest dreams
to be able to do so.

  Last thought. Commercialization of these items is the only reason why we
are able to own them. Our passion, scientific inquiries, and careful
possession of these celestial treasures is what gives them meaning. I know
that we will never lose sight of that.

Warmest Regards Fellow List Members,
Greg Redfern
IMCA #5781