[meteorite-list] Hot Desert Meteorites

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:05 2004

I couldn't agree more with Bernd's statements here concerning people always
worrying and bickering about prices of meteorites. Plain and simple, how
much is a certain meteorite worth? However much someone will pay for it.
You don't get much more of an open market than with meteorites. I recently
bought a piece of Lodran (thanks Steve Arnold!) that cost a bit more than
I'm used to spending. Commercially speaking, was it worth it? Probally not
but I really don't care because I didn't have any of this type of meteorite
in my collection. Am I going to get angry at Steve because he charged a lot
for it and call him greedy and say he's just so evil for it? OF COURSE
NOT!!! I gave him a little more money than I would have prefferred but much
much much more importantly I got a piece of this rare meteorite that I've
been wanting for quite some time. Hey, for all that, I'm actually happy to
kick in a little bit of a reward for him there for getting such an amazing
and rare meteorite.
I'm mostly a collector but do sell a few meteorites from time to time and
have some on my asteroidmodels.com site right now. Admittedly, some of them
are rather pricey but others are right at market value (market value being
what I see most other people charging) if not below it. For obvious reasons
I don't want to go into details about how much or how I aquired all of these
but I will say that some of my larger proffits have come from meteorites
that sold out in a day or two. Am I evil and greedy because I made a decent
proffit from them? I don't think so because the people that bought them
certainly seemed happy enough to have the pieces I sold them even though
they may have payed a bit more than the average meteorite. In fact, some of
the people who bought them have also bought some of the other meteorites
that I've had for sale and they always seem happy enough to just have the
meteorites that they get.
My point in this email is this; if you're going to argue about anything
concerning the NWA's argue about lack of a detailed recovery vs. volume of
meteorites now in our collective possessions. Don't argue about who's the
greedier dealer. Its simple, A meteorite, any meteorite be it NWA or
classic historical fall of an extremely rare type, is worth however much
someone will pay for it. If you think a meteorite costs too much don't buy
it. Some of the pricier pieces in my collection I'm sure dealers have made
some pretty good money off of me but I really couldn't care less because
that just means that I have another wonderful rock from another world that I
wouldn't be able to own without them.
My 2 cents,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com