[meteorite-list] Carbonaceous Chondrite Statistics

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:06 2004

Hi All!

After I had written that carbonaceous chondrites were relatively rare in
our collections when compared to ordinary chondrites, someone asked
for numbers off-list. So I'd like to share the result with all of us:

Carbonaceous chondrites presently in my databases:

(Tentative) pairing not considered!

190 worldwide without Antarctica (45 falls/144 finds + 1 Bench Crater)
329 US Antarctica
123 Japanese Antarctica (there are probably several more meanwhile!)

=> 642 Carbonaceous chondrites

All meteorites:

05938 Meteorites worldwide without Antarctica
08514 Japanese Antarctica
10532 US Antarctica

=> 24984 meteorites = 100 %
=> 642 Carbonaceous = 2.5 %