[meteorite-list] Meteor crater impactite?

From: Graham Christensen <majorvoltage_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:08 2004

Hello list,
A friend of mine just returned from meteor crater (Wish I were there) and he
brought me a very interesting rock that he found about 1/2 Km from the rim
of the crater. It is pourus like lava but it seems denser than most lava
that I have seen. I can't give you an exact weight and density because I
don't have a scale for small weights. It is dark brownish-red and it has
globs of sand fused to it. When I looked at the fused sand with my 10x
magnifier I noticed that the sand grains are partly melted into each other.
It looks like it has chips and pieces of small, light rock in it. Could
these be fragments of limestone that were propelled out of the forming
crater? Also, I can pick up the rock with a powerful magnet but it doesn't
stick as strongly as an entire meteorite so I think it might be some melted
meteorite that was mixed with the rock on impact. Is this an impactite? He
brought other rocks from the same area but none of them stick to a magnet or
look melted. I don't know much about impactite so any information would be
greatly appreciated. I am sorry that I can't give you an image but I don't
have a digital camera yet. I don't have much money right now and the money I
do have is going towards a eucrite.

By the way, anyone got a good offer on eucrite? I won't be able to buy any
now because I don't have much money but maybe in a month or so I will. I
don't have any achondrite at all in my collection yet and I thought eucrite
is fairly cheap so I will get some.

Thanks
Graham Christensen
majorvoltage_at_hotmail.com