[meteorite-list] Melting meteorite iron?

From: Jeff K. <meteorites_australia_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:08 2004

G'day List,

I'm commissioning a ring to be made out of meteoric
material and just have a few queries about melting
down meteorites and the effect on the metal. I'm sure
there are plenty of people reading this that can offer
some valuable advice.

I would presume that if you were to melt-down Gibeon,
then the structure of the metal would change and it
would no longer be possible to yeild the Widmanstatten
pattern. Is this correct?

However; what about the melting of Chinga? If this
meteorite is melted, would it still polish to its same
beautiful mirrored finish?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. (This is
my second post on this topic but the first did not
work. My apologies if they both come through!)

Thanks,

Jeff

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.