[meteorite-list] Space Adventures Antarctic Meteorite Expedition

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:40 2004

>I would love to hear opinions on the expedition which has just >started,
>see link below:
>CF
>Between January 3rd and the 18th, Space Adventures' is leading a
>once-in-a-lifetime meteorite recovery expedition<snip>
Hmmm. That company has been running that trip every year. How is that "Once
in a lifetime". Somebody must have a very short life span.
And I suspect that they will continue having these trips as long as they can
sucker enough people into paying $40,000 to cover the cost of the
governments meteorite search trip and to provide free labour to search for
them in a very inhospitable environment that it would be hard to imagine
anybody wanting to actually go to. I guess that it is all in the way it is
marketed.
If they marketed their trip as it really is - which is a "Freeze your ass
off while providing free labour and huge funding to help the government find
meteorites trip", then likely nobody would go.
Not that I have a problem with that if thats how people want to spend their
money.
I bet that that company could sell snow to eskimos
Cheers
DEAN

to the Thiel mountains of
>Antarctica. With the expedition underway, we invite you to follow our
>team's
>discoveries through our website!
>http://www.spaceadventures.com/terrestrial/antarctica/index.html
>

>Show your support at the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund -
>http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-pay-page/PKAXFNQH7EKCX/058-5084202-7156648

You dont have to go to NASA to get a Rock from outer space. Or even from the
Planet Mars or the Moon. You just have to visit the Meteorite Shop.
www.meteoriteshop.com