[meteorite-list] meteorite fall rates

From: Robert & Wendi Beauford <wendirob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:40 2004

I'm afraid I didn't pay as much attention as I should have the last 3 or 4
times that the subject of fall rates came up.
Could someone give me a hand with approximations of the correct information
in the following statements?
I sincerely appreciate any help.
-Robert Beauford : )

"Far less than 1 in 10000(??) visible meteors, or shooting stars, results in
a meteorite being left on the ground."

"Very rarely, an object large enough to see with the unaided eye, a
meteorite, is swept up with these dust sized particles. This occurs at the
rate of about 1 object over 10 grams (about the size of a quarter) per ??
square miles per year. As the size of the objects get larger, the rate of
fall becomes exponentialy smaller, so that we can expect that an object over
1 kilo (2.2 lbs) might fall in a given 1 square mile piece of land only once
in every ?? years.