[meteorite-list] My First Piece

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:40 2004

Mike Farmer wrote:
<After that I never thought again about meteorites, until 1995 at the Tucson Gem show. Met Bob Haag and bought a piece of Gao, $72.00, my check bounced! Bob
 hassled me for a couple of days. The rest is history.>

I first realized there were meteorites available when I found a NEMS catalog in a used book store here in Tucson. For a few hundred dollars you could get 12 specimens including "MARS!!". I went on the internet and found Mike Farmer's email address and emailed him. That was in Sep 1995 and Mike's whole collection fit into a 12x18 inch shadow box. I bought a 37 gram piece of Salaices for $93 as my first meteorite and still have it. A few months later at the 96 Tucson show I bought 6 kg of Hamada du Draa (now called El Hammami) and sold 4 of them to Michael Casper, my first meteorite sale.

Eric Olson
ELKK Meteorites
http://www.star-bits.com