[meteorite-list] panoramic view in probably carbonaceous chondrites

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:44 2004

******** (they are not NWA ******************
>Best regards,
>Richard & Roland PELISSON

Thats right. They are not NWAs. But if they were they would be a better deal
for collectors wanting a piece of your really nice meteorite that you found
and for reserachers who want some to study scientifically.
If it was a NWA you could buy this for Say $20 a gram. Collectors would
have to shell out $20 in cash and researchers would have to give $20 in
value of trade material. People would pay $20 for the meteorite and nothing
for the location data. Total $20 a gram.
However, since it was found by yourself who had a little hand held unit that
cost $400 and gives some numbers made up my man that is reading of a man
made satalite your meteorite now costs $50. Buyers pay $30 a gram toward the
cost of your GPS unit and $20 for the meteorite itself.
Presumably your buyers have an interest to go to the spot that you found it,
stick up a sign that says "I was here", and take a photo to put into his
meteorite collection.
Without paying the extra 150% people will not have an opportunity to have
this wonderful photo shoot. And the researcher who wants it for study wont
be able to put a photo of him standing next to the fall hole on the cover of
his research report.
Congratulations on a great find. You did better than me on my last desert
search trip.
But thats OK. Rather than finding the stuff myself I have nomads hired to do
the searching for me. Just as good dont you think? After all, every new
medical breakthrough has had most of the work done by graduate students. But
its the professor who gets all of the glory.
Sort of the same dont you think?
Still, I am envious of your find. Congratulations are in order.
Cheers
DEAN