[meteorite-list] Floating Fireball Over Texas Caught On Video

From: John Gwilliam <jkgdiver_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:45 2004

Boy, this story brings back some fun memories for me.

First of all.....DON'T DO THIS!

Back in the 1960's, my older brother and I built similar hot air
balloons. We used old surplus "C" ratio heat tablets for the heat source
and suspended them in a wire mesh basket. The bottom on the balloons,
which were made from laundry bags, were held open and supported at the
bottom with a circle of light wicker.

We had a pretty efficient launching system. With a goal to see how may we
could get into the air at one time, we had to get them up fast. The bags
were held over a metal garbage can with a small fire in it to pre-heat the
balloons and the heat tablets were lighted at the same time. It was really
something to watch a rising column of glowing objects drifting Southwest
towards the mountains.

Our record was eleven balloons up all at the same time. They glowed quite
well and could be seen for miles as they gained altitude and traveled with
the wind. One time, we attached several aluminum foil strips to the bottom
of each balloon. News the next day talked about several "UFOs" that were
seen over the Phoenix and also on radar at Sky Harbor Airport.

Things were different back in the 60's. Don't try this at home...or
anywhere for that matter. I'm sure you would be in a heap of trouble.

Then there was my first 1956 Chevy...............;-)

Best,

John