[meteorite-list] Flying Flaming Plastic Bags!

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:46 2004

So the make-shift Hot Air Balloon is a poor idea, especially if one lives
in Australia these days... But here's an alternative.

Buy a surplus weather balloon from a science supply house. Insert a strong
flashlight bulb on a wire. Fill the balloon with Helium (which isn't too
expensive if you rent a big tank from a party store). Tie the balloon to a
long cord. Let the balloon rise into the air, trailing the wire behind.
When at the desired height (100-300 feet or so), attach the wire to a
battery, making the entire balloon glow. As it bobbs and weaves about in
the night breeze, try flashing the light by disconnecting and reconnecting
the wire. Do this for 30-45 minutes, then pack up and go home.

See what shows up in the local papers over the next few days. :)

>Back in the 1960's, my older brother and I built similar hot air
>balloons. We used old surplus "C" ratio heat tablets for the heat source
>and suspended them in a wire mesh basket. The bottom on the balloons,
>which were made from laundry bags, were held open and supported at the
>bottom with a circle of light wicker.

Bob Martino Can you really name a star?
                                       http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
"This is how men behave when they
 believe they have absolute knowledge."
               -Jacob Bronowski (speaking from the ashes of Auschwitz)