[meteorite-list] International Meteorite Collectors Association Part 2

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:46 2004

Good evening everyone. I hope that this email finds you all well. As you
may remember the discussion from a few weeks ago about forming an
organization called the International Meteorite Collectors Association. It
died due to petty bickering but has come back. Ron Hartman, Jim Hartman,
Steve Schoner, Anne Black, Martin Horejsi and I have been working since that
time to get something together to fill the void that everyone has said that
we have with the lack of a formal association for meteorite collectors and
dealers and, personally speaking, I've think we've done a damn good job
doing it! Please check out the website that we've put together at
www.meteoritecollectors.org.
The single purpose of this association is AUTHENTICITY. That is, to make
certain that ALL our members adhere to the highest standards of meteorite
identification, authenticity, and proper labeling practices. This is done
via "self monitoring". We, the membership, monitor each others activities
for accuracy, and it is every IMCA members responsibility, and pleasure, to
offer help and assistance to other members to assure this accuracy occurs.
What's to stop me from taking this down? The amount of hard work that Jim
Hartman and I have put into it. In the past month I have sent and received
well over 1,000 emails on the subject (both on lists and off), dealt with
dozens of people from eight countries on three continents, spent good time
getting the website up, making countless revisions to the website, and
arranging with Jim to have him produce and send out 2 separate logos (one
that will conform to eBay regulations as well as a larger one for your
websites) to all the members of the group.
That being said, everyone who joined up with the initial incarnation is
still a member unless they don't wish to be. If you missed out then I would
personally like to ask you to join up. Email me privately and I will add
you. To those of you who have received logos please start using them and
linking to the website that is now up and running at
www.meteoritecollctors.org.
If anyone has any comments I'd love to hear them.
Best wishes to all,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal