[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Guide(?)

From: Julien.Courtois_at_gr.admin.ch <Julien.Courtois_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:47 2004

Hello!

Short answer: YES, meteorites are radioactive, BUT not dangerous to humans.

for a longer answer, please take your copy of "meteorites and their parent
bodies" by Harry Y. McSween, and look in the index for "spalliation"
(sp???). By measuring the radioactivity of freshly fallen meteorites, you
can compute the exposure age of it. This have to be done rather quickly, as
this radioactivity is induced by cosmic rays, and the elements thus created
are rather short-lived.

I hope that helps,

Julien