[meteorite-list] nwa869

From: John Divelbiss <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:05 2004

Hi Al and list,

Thank you again for being attentive to my ramblings. You and countless
others are close to, and more informed of the process and the expertise
given to the analysis of meteorites. I did not mean to trivialize this
process...and if I did offend anyone, I'm sorry. My nature, being a
mechanical consulting engineer, is to evaluate all situations with a bit of
skepticism and caution. It comes through on occasion with my meteorite
collection. So does my ignorance on the subject, but I'm learning.

As far as "looks" go when evaluating a particular piece, or when comparing
one to another...well that's all I've got, and the word of the seller and
it's evaluator. In the case the NWA's, the collection process as you
mentioned makes the identification process that much harder to be sure of a
given class/type. In the case of 869 and all its brother and sister #'s...I
would like to see a concerted effort to nail this one down. The wonderful
900 slices from Matteo deserve it, along with the unique 869 pieces Dean and
Mark have seen and offered with nice C clasts and brecciation, the same for
995 slices sold last winter, and let us not forget the beautiful slices of
904 and others (787 I believe) from the Hupes. All of these, and others as
Matteo suggested deserve an opinion of "are they from the same fall or
source?". I would appreciate it, and I'm sure many others would also. How it
would get done is a mystery to me. Maybe it could be project for a
university to study and comment on. How about it Ron?

Well I'm going to stop embarrassing myself on this one. Thanx all for
reading. Any identification information on any of the mentioned #'s would be
appreciated along the way. Thanx in advance.

John