[meteorite-list] nwa869

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:05 2004

Hi John,

I don't think your post should offend anyone and in my opinion is a very relevant
question and I wish more people would post along such lines. Until we learn about
something then we have to ask questions and anyone putting another person down for
asking a GOOD question along these lines forgets they at one time didn't know the
answer to the question either! The true nature of science is to ask questions and see
if something has been addressed or not.

My hopes are that you will continue to ask and good threads as this one continue on
for those wanting to learn. I myself have to be humble with the many gifted, and
knowledgeable people on the list. Hopefully we will always have someone that will be
able to address an issue.

Two good books that help out enormously are "The Cambridge Encyclopedia Of Meteorites"
by O. Richard Norton. I am just getting into reading my copy and can see from what I
have read and what I have check out, is a wealth of information contain in this book.
You are doing yourself an injustice by not having a copy. I am seriously thinking of
buying another copy to make sure I am never without it. It is proving to be another
fantastic book by Norton. Certainly a work of art more than a book with information.
One other book that I always like to recommend is Meteorites and their Parent Planets
by Harry McSween Jr. This book gets down into the nitty gritty of meteorites also and
helps with the understanding of classification and possible parent bodies.

--AL Mitterling