[meteorite-list] Daytime firebal just observed from SoCal

From: John Reed <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:31 2004

Mark what happened was I looked up in the sky I saw a quick, if you
hold your thumb up to the sky the tail was about as long as the width as
your thumb nail in less than 1 second there was no fire ball just a
quick spark that was in the sky at about 11 o'clock 9 being on the
horizon 12 straight up or maybe 45-50 degrees Then about 3 seconds later
I heard the wind chopping sound I don't think I would of heard it if it
was over 500 ft altitude? it was a very soft sound actually a purring I
looked I remember some shadow going over me, but it was going so fast
from the time I first heard the sound 'til the time I couldn't hear it
any more was about 2 seconds One time I figured it out with a ruler and
a piece of paper I made a horizontal line then I made a dot at 1 in
above the line then I put my ruler across the dot at the same angle I
recalled. The result was that it only went 5 x further than the height
at 50o and about 8x at 45o so if 1in equaled 500ft It might be laying
between 1/2 to 2/3 of a mile away Also I waited and listened for it to
land I didn't hear anything I am sure that this is not exactly accuarate
of course, but I might be close who knows Here's what I was saying
because of the shape? it didn't get up to enough speed to burn up or
blow up and the shape would also be responsible for the motor like wind
chopping sound?
Thanks John