[meteorite-list] Daytime firebal just observed from SoCal

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:31 2004

May 5, 2002

Greetings Mr. John Reed and Fellow Meteorite
Enthusiasts!

Strange meteor report! The sound observed seems
suspiciously connected with the original (or current)
shape of the meteorite. I was going to suggest the
sounds could have been "electrophonic" in origin, but
since you clearly stated that you heard them "after"
the appearance of the meteor and not during the
display, that almost certainly eliminates that
possibility.

>From what you have described, perhaps it was pretty
close, but still probably a good number of miles away.
To judge it to be an iron, on the basis of a lack of
fragmentation is not compelling enough evidence, I'm
afraid. If I remember correctly, only one of every
two stone meteorites are said to fragment.

Please, describe the brightness of the meteor as that
may help readers get a better picture of the likely
size of what you saw.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA