[meteorite-list] Interesting meteorites- Portales and Sahara 98362

From: John Divelbiss <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:32 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C20E7C.08934D00

Hello all,

The list has recently discussed the Portales Valley meteorite with more =
to be said I'm sure. I have a wonderful piece that has a nice mix of =
metal vein and stone...including a few large chondrules right next to a =
metal vein. Very strange...you would think such an impact would alter =
the stone greatly...but it doesn't look like it at first glance. Also =
the crust over the metal portion is black and not thick. The crust over =
the stone portion is similar but has the look of having more minerals in =
it. With my small 5g piece, I cannot make too many observations.

That brings me to a different meteorite. It is Sahara 98362, which is =
supposedly a H6, impact melt breccia (IMB). My first question is "Has it =
been thoroughly studied, and where can I find results?"

The second issue...what is difference between an impact melt and what =
happended to the Portales stone material? One hit by stone and the other =
hit by an iron? It must be more than that, because the 98362 material is =
glass-like when viewing a fractured surface. It is loaded with metal. I =
seen no other meteorite like it. It looks almost like the sulphur slag =
that has been discussed lately.

Help...will someone please provide more insight into this very strange =
meteorite?

Thanx in advance,

John Divelbiss

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C20E7C.08934D00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hello all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The list has recently discussed the Portales Valley =
meteorite=20
with more to be said I'm sure. I have a wonderful&nbsp;piece that has a =
nice mix=20
of metal vein and stone...including a few large chondrules&nbsp;right =
next to a=20
metal vein. Very strange...you would think such an impact would alter =
the stone=20
greatly...but it doesn't look like it at first glance. Also the crust =
over the=20
metal portion is black and not thick. The crust over the stone portion =
is=20
similar but has the look of having more minerals in it. With my small 5g =
piece,=20
I cannot make too many observations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>That brings me to a different meteorite. It is =
Sahara 98362,=20
which is supposedly a H6, impact melt breccia (IMB). My first question=20
is&nbsp;"Has it been thoroughly studied, and where can I find=20
results?"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The second issue...what is difference between =
an&nbsp;impact=20
melt and what happended to the Portales stone =
material?</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT=20
size=3D2>One hit by stone and the other hit by an iron? It must be more =
than that,=20
because the 98362 material is glass-like when viewing a fractured =
surface. It is=20
loaded with metal. I seen no other meteorite like it.&nbsp; It looks =
almost like=20
the sulphur slag that has been discussed lately.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Help...will someone please provide more insight into =
this very=20
strange meteorite?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanx in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>John Divelbiss</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C20E7C.08934D00--