[meteorite-list] Earth Nearly Hit Again?

From: MrX3010_at_aol.com <MrX3010_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:34 2004

--part1_39.28da05f6.2a44cf85_boundary

I find it amazing how we ridicule those who are trying to educate anyone
about the possibility of an earth impact occurring. Before it became common
knowledge that we could in fact be hit scientists loved to speculate on how
the earth would be hit once again in the near future. Im not sure where all
this downplaying of such a serious threat is coming from and maybe I don't
want to know, but the point is we just started taking notice and for all we
know 9,995 asteroids, comets, or large meteors have skipped past our planet
without us even noticing. Just because it's an unpleasant scenario doesn't
make it improbable and I think this threat above all threats that mankind
faces should be addressed and that starts with education. Of course certain
media groups will dramatize these events but so be it, with more education we
can be prepared to face what might or might not happen to our world in the
future.

--part1_39.28da05f6.2a44cf85_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2>I find it amazing how we ridicule those who are trying to educate anyone about the possibility of an earth impact occurring.&nbsp; Before it became common knowledge that we could in fact be hit scientists loved to speculate on how the earth would be hit once again in the near future.&nbsp; Im not sure where all this downplaying of such a serious threat is coming from and maybe I don't want to know, but&nbsp; the point is we just started taking notice and for all we know 9,995 asteroids, comets, or large meteors have skipped past our planet without us even noticing.&nbsp; Just because it's an unpleasant scenario doesn't make it improbable and I think this threat above all threats that mankind faces should be addressed and that starts with education.&nbsp; Of course certain media groups will dramatize these events but so be it, with more education we can be prepared to face what might or might not happen to
 our world in the future.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_39.28da05f6.2a44cf85_boundary--