[meteorite-list] Turkmenbashi Fall?

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:26 2004

Ken inquired:

> #377 Meteorite very nice and #378 Meteorite, unique
>
> I cannot find this in Meteoritical Bulletin(s), is it for real?

Hi Ken and List,

It is "for real" although I don't know if the material is:

Kunya-Urgench, H5
Dashkhowus Velayat, Turkmenistan
42° 15' N / 059° 12' E
Fall: 1998, June 20, 17:25 local time

A large bolide was observed by people in several villages, and a loud
whistling followed by a crashing noise was heard. A large mass impacted
30-50 m from several farmers in a cotton field, creating a 6 m wide, 4 m
deep crater. A single stone weighing ~900 kg was recovered from the
crater, and 1000-1100 kg was recovered in total. Mineralogy and
classification (O. Odekov, Turk; S. Muhamed- nazarov, NHCT; A. Ivanov,
Vernad): olivine, Fa 18.0; pyroxene, Fs15.9. Specimens: type specimens,
NHCT, Vernad; main mass, Turk. This meteorite is also known by the name
Saparmurat Turkmenbashy.

Best wishes,

Bernd