[meteorite-list] New Bensour fall

From: Michael Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

------=_NextPart_000_00F0_01C1CF9A.32D026E0

Hello everyone, I have just arrived home from a very hard 5 days of =
traveling to Africa and back. I am leaving tomorrow (Wednesday) for =
Tahiti for a vacation with my wife for 10 days, so I will certainly not =
have time to really answer any emails until I get home from that trip. =
This will be almost around the entire planet in 3 days!=20
Anyway, I just want to write a quick note about the new fall. It is =
spectacular! Bessey was of course wrong in every aspect, it never did =
rain there, the pieces I got are ALL PRISTINE, NEVER touched by a drop =
of water or you would certainly see it. He said he and Bruno "cleaned =
them out" Yeah, whatever, I have 18.5 kilos of pieces, including the =
main mass of 9.5 kilos! Many small individuals, from 1/10 GRAM to ~150 =
grams. It is finished now though! I had almost 60 people hunting in =
preparation for my arrival.=20
The total weight seems to be in the 25 kilo range unless some people are =
not reporting accurately what they have.=20

        As for the fall, I interviewed several eyewitnesses (with a =
translator of course) and here is the story as told by Amhirich Omar, a =
Berber who was camping in the area.=20
"Omar was out tending his camels when at about 4 in the afternoon on =
Sunday February 10, 2002, he saw a light in the sky to the west. It =
rapidly grew very bright but was not moving (it was coming at him strait =
on). Then quickly the object exploded into many pieces, and passed =
overhead leaving a trail of dark smoke. A moment later the explosions =
like thunder were very loud. He thought that it was a military jet that =
had been shot down. He saw the pieces fall to the ground about 3 =
kilometers from where he was. He told his children to guard the animals =
and he took his brother to go find the crashed airplane. (The area is on =
the disputed Morocco/Algeria border, and military is common there. No =
one is allowed there but military and Berbers who have rights to pass =
about anywhere.)
When the arrived at the area where he saw the pieces fall, he found =
burned black stones everywhere, and many broken pieces. They landed in a =
rocky area so many shattered when they hit the ground.=20
He took some and went back to the camp. Many of the people there knew =
that they were meteorites, as it is a common business in that area, so =
the next day many people went to collect the stones. The meteorite =
pieces were in a line of about 5 or 6 kilometers, the small stones were =
all in one large area, and the larger pieces spread out far between each =
one. They crossed the border into Algeria, so the smaller pieces were in =
Morocco, and the larger ones in Algeria!=20
At first a few pieces went to Rissani to be sold, but then there was =
little interest so the rest were kept by the Berbers.=20
The fall was seen by many people in different towns, it passed north of =
Rissani from the Northwest to the Southeast.=20

The date was listed previously as 11 or 12 Feb, but it is confirmed to =
be afternoon on Feb 10 as this is Sunday and that is market day in =
Rissani, so many Berbers had gone to the market there that day.=20

I would like to note that apparently Dean Bessy and Bruno learned of my =
arrival and started offering large sums to buy the stones (even though =
Dean keeps saying that he had already cleaned it out) so that drove the =
price up on me there. Either way, I was the first one to come there and =
meet with them directly so I learned the important information. It was a =
very successful trip and I am very pleased with the material .
Alot of the stones are very small, like Pultusk and Holbrook, so we will =
have some nice stuff to offer when I get home from Tahiti.=20

Anyway Dean, you can get off your "farmer got the old wet ruined stone =
bit when you see what I have, Ill post photos tomorrow."

Thanks and good night, I need some sleep!
Mike Farmer
Meteorite Hunter

------=_NextPart_000_00F0_01C1CF9A.32D026E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello everyone, I have just arrived =
home from a=20
very hard 5 days of traveling to Africa and back. I am leaving tomorrow=20
(Wednesday) for Tahiti for a vacation with my wife for 10 days, so I =
will=20
certainly not have time to really answer any emails until I get home =
from that=20
trip. This will be almost around the entire planet in 3 days! =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, I just want to write a quick =
note about the=20
new fall. It is spectacular! Bessey was of course wrong in every aspect, =
it=20
never did rain there, the pieces I got are ALL PRISTINE, NEVER touched =
by a drop=20
of water or you would certainly see it. He said he and Bruno "cleaned =
them out"=20
Yeah, whatever, I have 18.5 kilos of pieces, including the main mass of =
9.5=20
kilos! Many small individuals, from 1/10 GRAM to ~150 grams. It is =
finished now=20
though! I had almost 60 people hunting in preparation for my arrival.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The total weight seems to be in the 25 =
kilo range=20
unless some people are not reporting accurately what they have. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
As for the=20
fall, I interviewed several eyewitnesses (with a translator of course) =
and here=20
is the story as told by Amhirich Omar, a Berber who was camping in the =
area.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Omar was out tending his camels when =
at about 4 in=20
the afternoon on Sunday February 10, 2002, he saw a light in the sky to =
the=20
west. It rapidly grew very bright but was not moving (it was coming at =
him=20
strait on). Then quickly the object exploded into many pieces, and =
passed=20
overhead leaving a trail of dark smoke. A moment later the explosions =
like=20
thunder were very loud. He thought that it was a military jet that had =
been shot=20
down. He saw the pieces fall to the ground about 3 kilometers from where =
he was.=20
He told his children to guard the animals and he took his brother to go =
find the=20
crashed airplane. (The area is on the disputed Morocco/Algeria border, =
and=20
military is common there. No one is allowed there but military and =
Berbers who=20
have rights to pass about anywhere.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When the arrived at the area where he =
saw the=20
pieces fall, he found burned black stones everywhere, and many broken =
pieces.=20
They landed in a rocky area so many shattered when they hit the ground.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>He took some and went back to the camp. =
Many of the=20
people there knew that they were meteorites, as it is a common business =
in that=20
area, so the next day many people went to collect the stones.&nbsp; The=20
meteorite pieces were in a line of about 5 or 6 kilometers, the small =
stones=20
were all in one large area, and the larger pieces spread out far between =
each=20
one. They crossed the border into Algeria, so the smaller pieces were in =

Morocco, and the larger ones in Algeria! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At first a&nbsp; few pieces went to =
Rissani to be=20
sold, but then there was little interest so the rest were kept by the =
Berbers.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The fall was seen by many people in =
different=20
towns, it passed north of Rissani from the Northwest to the Southeast.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The date was listed previously as 11 or =
12 Feb, but=20
it is confirmed to be afternoon on Feb 10 as this is Sunday and that is =
market=20
day in Rissani, so many Berbers had gone to the market there that day.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would like to note that apparently =
Dean Bessy and=20
Bruno learned of my arrival and started offering large sums to buy the =
stones=20
(even though Dean keeps saying that he had already cleaned it out) so =
that drove=20
the price up on me there. Either way, I was the first one to come there =
and meet=20
with them directly so I learned the important information. It was a very =

successful trip and I am very pleased with the material .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alot of the stones are very small, like =
Pultusk and=20
Holbrook, so we will have some nice stuff to offer when I get home from =
Tahiti.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway Dean, you can get off your =
"farmer got the=20
old wet ruined stone bit when you see what I have, Ill post photos=20
tomorrow."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks and good night, I need some=20
sleep!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Farmer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Meteorite =
Hunter</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F0_01C1CF9A.32D026E0--