[meteorite-list] The Brustseite

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:33 2004

--B_3100243984_424169

Hi All,

On page 52 of O.R. Norton=B9s new book, the Cambridge Encyclopedia of
Meteorites, he uses the term brustseite to describe oriented meteorites. Th=
footnote at the bottom of the page offers the following: =B3The word
brustseite is German literally translated as breast side, or more
appropriately, front side. It is a seldom used term in meteoritics today,
but still useful when referring to oriented meteorites which in many cases
mimic the shape of the female breast.=B2

Disregarding the =B3appropriately=B2-ness of the translation, I am wondering if
there is a more breast-like oriented meteorite than Archie, Missouri. Here
is a link to a picture (it=B9s just a meteorite picture, no comparison is
included):

http:aristotle.isu.edu/web_presence/archie.jpg

Remember, Archie is 70 years old (;- )

Cheers,

Martin

--B_3100243984_424169

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>The Brustseite</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Hi All,<BR>
<BR>
On page 52 of O.R. Norton&#8217;s new book, the Cambridge Encyclopedia of M=
eteorites, he uses the term brustseite to describe oriented meteorites. The =
footnote at the bottom of the page offers the following: &#8220;The word bru=
stseite is German literally translated as <I>breast side</I>, or more approp=
riately, <I>front side</I>. It is a seldom used term in meteoritics today, b=
ut still useful when referring to oriented meteorites which in many cases mi=
mic the shape of the female breast.&#8221;<BR>
<BR>
Disregarding the &#8220;appropriately&#8221;-ness of the translation, I am =
wondering if there is a more breast-like oriented meteorite than Archie, Mis=
souri. Here is a link to a picture (it&#8217;s just a meteorite picture, no =
comparison is included):<BR>
<BR>
http:aristotle.isu.edu/web_presence/archie.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Remember, Archie is 70 years old (;- )<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Martin<BR>