[meteorite-list] Meteorites as stars

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:47 2004

Jim Strope wrote:=A0
> ....I like NWA meteorites because they have made it possible for new yo=
ung
> collectors like Catherine Fox to be able to own a piece of a=A0star....=
=2E....=A0
---------------
A question for all:
        The other day, a student stated that my "claim" that the =

vast majority of meteorites came from the asteroid belt was
wrong, as her astronomy instructor had informed her they
were pieces of stars.
        Now, I know that much has been written about solar system
evolution and that, to some very real degree, all solid mater in
our solar system is a sort of "coagulated star light" - the result
of energy transformed into mater.... and then there is the ol' routeen
about Allende predating our sun, so, therefore, being "condensed star
light" from a different star. =

        So, to what degree ARE meteorites "pieces of stars" in a
literal sense and to what degree is that more a more "poetically" =

accurate statement?
        RSVP
        An interesting question....Michael