[meteorite-list] Relating to the Elbert A. King Collection

From: marsroxx_at_theofficenet.com <marsroxx_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:47 2004

Dear List,

I can confirm what Steve said, in as much as when I purchased a King book, that
he had me make the check out to Sharon King.

Cheers
Alan

Quoting MeteorHntr_at_aol.com:

> [...]
>
> his bid for the whole collection. As I understand it, Casper did not have
> enough personal funds to cover his $100,000 offer. At some point, I know
> Pitt and Strope backed out of the deal with Casper for various reasons. I
> haven't talked with them about this in nearly 3 years, but I am sure they can
>
> verify this information. When I received a larger offer for the collection,
>
> Casper said "I am not going to bid this up, you go get your best offer and
> then come back to me and I will beat it." The highest offer I received from
>
> another party, was for $225,000 which Sharon King turned down. I asked
> Casper if he wanted to top that offer and he asked "What will it take for me
>
> to buy it?" I asked Mrs. King and she was firm on wanting at least $300,000.
>
> When I passed this on to Casper he said some things I won't repeat here, and
>
> he never submitted another offer to me after that. Mrs. King then decided to
>
> sell the meteorites individually. I contacted several institutions including
>
> the U.S. National Collection at the Smithsonian and they were not interested
>
> in purchasing or trading for any of the specimens. I also contacted the
> British Museum of Natural History in London and they were willing to trade
> for just one specimen from the collection. Several other specimens were sold
>
> to another interested institution and then we began selling the remainder via
>
> auctions to the general public.
>
> 3. Casper mentions that "the King Family has not been paid." If by that he
> means that Sharon's stepchildren have not been paid yet, then he is correct.
>
> Sharon King's Estate is still in Probate, so of course the heirs have not
> received any of Sharon's assets yet.
>
> 4. I am not sure what he is referring to when he mentions "a questionable
> attorney" and a "corrupt male nurse." However, as for his comments concerning
>
> Geoff Notkin, Geoff was my webmaster during some of the sales, but he had
> nothing to do with anything other than website updates.
>
> Many items from the King Collection were purchased by people on this list.
>
> It is possible to verify that all the checks were made out to either Sharon
>
> King or to the King Estate's law firm's trust account. It is also possible
>
> to verify through those canceled checks that all funds passed through one of
>
> these accounts and NOT mine. After the funds cleared the bank, my commission
>
> was paid either by Sharon or her lawyer.
>
> There was a comment made that Casper might be open for a lawsuit due to
> things he has said on this list. Maybe that might be the case, but even if I
>
> would win a lawsuit against him, I would still have to prove "damages" before
>
> I would be awarded any money. Since Casper's credibility has suffered so
> much, it is hard to imagine that his comments have cost me any loss of sales
>
> (damages), so why should I sue him? However, I did have several auctions on
>
> ebay this last weekend right in the middle of all this commotion.

MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&userid=meteoritebroker.com&include=0&since=7&sor
t=3&rows=0">http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?