[meteorite-list] Classic eBay M-Wrong

From: John Reed <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

--------------18AB6AC82F088E70F4578E2D

Ken , I think your making to big a deal out of this. Any serious person
will check them out before spending a sizable amount of money You spent
40.00 on a phony but, look what it got you your now an expert on the
whole subject You know what they say about guilt or innocence in the
criminal justice system " Its better that 100 guilty men go free than 1
innocent man be found guilty " here's how that applies to meteorites
Its better that a 100 people buy a 40.00 fake than 1 real meteorite be
discarded Also even fake meteorites can make people curious and
genuinely interested which means your collection is worth more just by
the amount of that interest I am a licensed landscape contractor and
guess what? I charge more because a lot of times the unlicensed can't
do the work therefor more work is funneled to me more demand for a
higher standard means more for $ me. I think meteorites will naturally
follow that same course and be found out in the end only to the benefit
of the legitimate collector I really think the focus should be on
quicker and more conclusive testing Universities are not well equiped
for real testing and I know by thier methods they are probably
overlooking the most rarest type the low metals since they primarily
test with a magnet Where are all the private labs hiding where you can
pay and find out EXACTLY what you have? , they are out there but' their
not set up for meteorite ID that well Its not an easy process getting a
straight answer on a rock sample in fact its very difficult it needs to
be streamlined Is their a machine you can buy to test samples? shove it
in like an oven turn a dial out comes a print out of your samples
enerts, if there is I'm going to get one and start charging all those
fakers 5$ each to conclusively absolutely, undeniably certifiably
identify their ? I think ther could be a big demand What do you
think? Also check this out, this is what the universitiy called
quartz let me know what you think
http://www.FINDALLTRADES.COM/projects/Snowwhite.htm Thanks John
        Here's my quote
       "leave them alone, and they'll come home
     wagging their tales behind them"
                                   Little bo peep

magellon wrote:

> Hi,
> You have got to see this: METEOR >From Deep Deep Outer Space
> Lighten Picts Photo#1 Photo#2 Photo#3
> This is THE CLASSIC M-wrong. In an email the guy even told me "I found
> it the morning of the first night of the Band of meteorites passing
> through Earth's path. We were pelted in this area for several nights
> but I
> am the only one that has reported recovering one." Also, "Just in the
> short year that I have owned this I have answered questions,
> displayed, and shipped this precious object to all parts of the planet
> for viewing." Yet, I was the first person to ask if his find was
> attracted to a magnet. (He did not know and does not have a magnet)
> Everything from the description to the photos looks and sounds fake.
> When I ask a seller of a m-wrong if I can use his photo and
> description for my M-wrong Page, the dishonest ones (knowing their
> meteorite is a fake) usually say no or agree under anonymity. This
> guy wanted publicity, so I'm convinced that he actually believes all
> the unbelievable stuff he is saying. That's incredible!
> Ken Newton
> me

--------------18AB6AC82F088E70F4578E2D

Ken , I think your making to big a deal out of this. Any serious person
will check them out before spending a sizable amount of money You spent
40.00 on a phony but, look what it got you your now an expert on the whole
subject You know what they say&nbsp; about guilt or innocence in the criminal
justice system " Its better that 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent
man be found guilty " here's how that applies to meteorites&nbsp; Its better
that a 100 people buy a 40.00&nbsp; fake than 1 real meteorite be discarded&nbsp;
Also even fake meteorites can make people curious and genuinely interested
which means your collection is worth more just by the amount of that interest
I am a licensed landscape contractor and guess what? I charge more because
a lot of times&nbsp; the unlicensed can't do the work therefor more work
is funneled to me more demand for a higher standard means more for $ me.&nbsp;
I think meteorites will naturally follow that same course and be found
out in the end only to the benefit of&nbsp; the legitimate collector&nbsp;
I really think the focus should be on quicker and more&nbsp; conclusive
testing Universities are not well equiped for real testing and I know by
thier methods they are probably overlooking the most rarest type the low
metals since they primarily test with a magnet&nbsp; Where are all the
private labs hiding where you can pay and find out EXACTLY what you have?
, they are out there but' their not set up for meteorite ID that well&nbsp;
Its not an easy process getting a straight answer on a rock sample in fact
its very difficult&nbsp; it needs to be streamlined Is their a machine
you can buy to test samples? shove it in like an oven turn a dial out comes
a print out of your samples enerts,&nbsp; if there is I'm going to get
one and start charging all those fakers 5$ each to conclusively absolutely,
undeniably certifiably identify their ?&nbsp; I think ther could be a big
demand&nbsp; What do you think?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Also check this out,&nbsp;
this is what the universitiy called quartz let me know what you think&nbsp;
Thanks John&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Here's my quote<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "<i>leave them alone, and they'll
come home<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; wagging their tales behind them"<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Little bo peep</i>
>From Deep Deep Outer Space</a>

it the morning of the first night of the Band of meteorites passing
nights but I
in the short year that I have owned this I have answered questions, displayed,
and shipped this precious object to all parts of the planet for viewing."
Yet, I was the first person to ask if his find was attracted to a magnet.
(He did not know and does not have a magnet)
fake. When I ask a seller of a m-wrong if I can use his photo and description
for my M-wrong Page, the dishonest ones (knowing their meteorite is a fake)
usually say no or agree under&nbsp; anonymity. This guy wanted publicity,