[meteorite-list] gaseous meteorites

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

In a message dated 5/18/2002 9:43:43 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
netkita_at_earthlink.net writes:

<< I am slightly confused. Are all metoerites considered
 gaseous or is it just a certain group of metoerites? Any good
 reading on the subject? >>

All meteorites contain gasses locked into their crystal structure. There
are
some however that are considered "gas rich". Gas rich meteorites have spent
time on the surface or within 1mm of the surface. Over time the solar wind
implants gasses on to the exposed surfaces. Howardites are good candidates
for
gas rich meteorites because they are considered to be asteroidal soil.
However
not all howardites are gas rich, in fact most are not. An example of a gas
rich howardite is Bununu. I don't have any refereneces, but maybe Bernd can
help.

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com