[meteorite-list] Classic eBay M-Wrong

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

--------------B895F364040E5C3C76CF039F

John Reed wrote:

> Ken , I think your making to big a deal out of this.

If you are referring to educating new collectors, I hope so!

> Any serious person will check them out before spending a sizable
> amount of money

I believe new collectors from many lands arrive daily on eBay and have
no idea of what is or is not a meteorite or where to look to learn more.
Likewise, any object found that looks different must be a meteorite and
must be auctioned for big bucks. (The reserve on the auction below is
three million $)

> You spent 40.00 on a phony but, look what it got you your now an
> expert on the whole subject.

A dishonest or uneducated seller improves the hobby by selling fakes? I
don't think so! How many persons have given up the meteorite hobby
because they got burnt ? (I don't know!) Fortunately, I met so many
nice and helpful dealers that I was drawn in to this amazing hobby.

> You know what they say about guilt or innocence in the criminal
> justice system " Its better that 100 guilty men go free than 1
> innocent man be found guilty "here's how that applies to meteorites
> Its better that a 100 people buy a 40.00 fake than 1 real meteorite
> be discarded

Each case in the justice system is examined with both sides presenting
its case and judged on its own merits. The auctions on
eBay are presented from only one side with picture/s (evidence) so bad
that it is often useless. So I don't really see a correlation. This is a
bad example, but let's look at your illustration with a view to the
total cost. In the justice system what if the guilty men let free are
killers who will each kill again? What good is it to save one innocent
man at the cost of 100 more innocent persons. In the case of
meteorwrongs, those 100 wrongs will again be sold over and over and over
as real meteorites. And this is better than trashing one real
meteorite?

> Also even fake meteorites can make people curious and genuinely
> interested which means your collection is worth more just by the
> amount of that interest I am a licensed landscape contractor and guess
> what? I charge more because a lot of times the unlicensed can't do
> the work therefor more work is funneled to me more demand for a higher
> standard means more for $ me. I think meteorites will naturally
> follow that same course and be found out in the end only to the
> benefit of the legitimate collector I really think the focus should
> be on quicker and more conclusive testing

I'll be more than happy to change my M-wrong site if you have some good
ideas. But should I change it without specific suggestions of something
better?

> Universities are not well equiped for real testing and I know by thier
> methods they are probably overlooking the most rarest type the low
> metals since they primarily test with a magnet Where are all the
> private labs hiding where you can pay and find out EXACTLY what you
> have? , they are out there but' their not set up for meteorite ID that
> well Its not an easy process getting a straight answer on a rock
> sample in fact its very difficult it needs to be streamlined Is their
> a machine you can buy to test samples?

I thought you were familiar with how the Universities and private labs
did testing? For more info go to
 Meteorite Studies click on "Found a Meteorite Click Here" on right
hand page at bottom. Mr. Weir not only lists 13 facilities that classify
but the physical methods involved are listed at the bottom of the page
for each type of classification.

> shove it in like an oven turn a dial out comes a print out of your
> samples enerts, if there is I'm going to get one and start charging
> all those fakers 5$ each to conclusively absolutely, undeniably
> certifiably identify their ? I think ther could be a big demand What
> do you think? Also check this out, this is what the universitiy
> called quartz let me know what you think
> http://www.FINDALLTRADES.COM/projects/Snowwhite.htm Thanks John

After carefully examining your photo, I am pleased to report that I
wouldn't want to make a big deal out of this being real or not. It
really doesn't matter. Just remember these wise words." so even fake
meteorites can make people curious and genuinely interested which means
your collection is worth more just by the amount of that interest."
That will be $5.00 please. : > )
Best,
Ken

> magellon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> You have got to see this: METEOR >From Deep Deep Outer Space
>> Lighten Picts Photo#1 Photo#2 Photo#3
>> This is THE CLASSIC M-wrong. In an email the guy even told me "I
>> found it the morning of the first night of the Band of meteorites
>> passing
>> through Earth's path. We were pelted in this area for several
>> nights but I
>> am the only one that has reported recovering one." Also, "Just in
>> the short year that I have owned this I have answered questions,
>> displayed, and shipped this precious object to all parts of the
>> planet for viewing." Yet, I was the first person to ask if his find
>> was attracted to a magnet. (He did not know and does not have a
>> magnet)
>> Everything from the description to the photos looks and sounds
>> fake. When I ask a seller of a m-wrong if I can use his photo and
>> description for my M-wrong Page, the dishonest ones (knowing their
>> meteorite is a fake) usually say no or agree under anonymity. This
>> guy wanted publicity, so I'm convinced that he actually believes all
>> the unbelievable stuff he is saying. That's incredible!
>> Ken Newton
>> me

--------------B895F364040E5C3C76CF039F

&nbsp;
If you are referring to educating new collectors, I hope so!
a sizable amount of money</blockquote>
I believe new collectors from many lands arrive daily on eBay and have
no idea of what is or is not a meteorite or where to look to learn more.
Likewise, any object found&nbsp; that looks different must be a meteorite
and must be auctioned for big bucks. (The reserve on the auction below
is three million $)
you your now an expert on the whole subject.</blockquote>
A dishonest or uneducated seller improves the hobby by selling fakes? I
don't think so!&nbsp; How many persons have given up the meteorite hobby
because they got burnt ? (I don't&nbsp; know!) Fortunately,&nbsp; I met
so many nice and helpful dealers that I was drawn in to this amazing hobby.
in the criminal justice system " Its better that 100 guilty men go free
than 1 innocent man be found guilty "here's how that applies to meteorites&nbsp;
Its better that a 100 people buy a 40.00&nbsp; fake than 1 real meteorite
be discarded</blockquote>
Each case in the justice system is examined with both sides presenting
its case and judged on its own merits. The auctions on
bad that it is often useless. So I don't really see a correlation. This
is a bad example, but let's look at your illustration with a view to the
total cost.&nbsp; In the justice system what if the guilty men let free
are killers who will each&nbsp; kill again? What good is it to save one
innocent man at the cost of 100 more innocent persons. In the case of meteorwrongs,
those 100 wrongs will again be sold over and over and over as real meteorites.
And this is better than trashing one real meteorite?&nbsp;&nbsp;
and genuinely interested which means your collection is worth more just
by the amount of that interest I am a licensed landscape contractor and
guess what? I charge more because a lot of times&nbsp; the unlicensed can't
do the work therefor more work is funneled to me more demand for a higher
standard means more for $ me.&nbsp; I think meteorites will naturally follow
that same course and be found out in the end only to the benefit of&nbsp;
the legitimate collector&nbsp; I really think the focus should be on quicker
and more&nbsp; conclusive testing</blockquote>
I'll&nbsp; be more than happy to change my M-wrong site if you have some
good ideas. But should I change it without specific suggestions of something
better?
and I know by thier methods they are probably overlooking the most rarest
type the low metals since they primarily test with a magnet&nbsp; Where
are all the private labs hiding where you can pay and find out EXACTLY
what you have? , they are out there but' their not set up for meteorite
ID that well&nbsp; Its not an easy process getting a straight answer on
a rock sample in fact its very difficult&nbsp; it needs to be streamlined
Is their a machine you can buy to test samples?</blockquote>
I thought you were familiar with how the Universities&nbsp; and private
labs did testing? For more info go to
click on "Found a Meteorite&nbsp;&nbsp; Click Here" on right hand page
at bottom. Mr. Weir not only lists 13 facilities that classify but the
physical methods involved are listed at the bottom of the page for each
type of classification.
print out of your samples enerts,&nbsp; if there is I'm going to get one
and start charging all those fakers 5$ each to conclusively absolutely,
undeniably certifiably identify their ?&nbsp; I think ther could be a big
demand&nbsp; What do you think?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Also check this out,&nbsp;
this is what the universitiy called quartz let me know what you think
Thanks John</blockquote>
After carefully examining your photo, I am pleased to report that I wouldn't
want to make a big deal out of this being real or not. It really doesn't
matter.&nbsp; Just remember these wise words." so even fake meteorites
can make people curious and genuinely interested which means your collection
is worth more just by the amount of that interest."&nbsp; That will be
$5.00 please. : > )
>From Deep Deep Outer Space</a>
it the morning of the first night of the Band of meteorites passing
nights but I
in the short year that I have owned this I have answered questions, displayed,
and shipped this precious object to all parts of the planet for viewing."
Yet, I was the first person to ask if his find was attracted to a magnet.
(He did not know and does not have a magnet)
fake. When I ask a seller of a m-wrong if I can use his photo and description
for my M-wrong Page, the dishonest ones (knowing their meteorite is a fake)
usually say no or agree under&nbsp; anonymity. This guy wanted publicity,