[meteorite-list] IMCA, Michael Blood's comments...another idea

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

After thinking about this issue all day, I've come up with an idea that can
potentially educate all prospective meteorite buyers on Ebay.

An auction(or several) could be run every week by various concerned
meteorite people offering the winning bidder some simple printed
information about how to tell meteorites from meteorwrongs. Start the
bidding at just $1.00 and the auction listing fee and the final value fee
should total than a buck. Granted, not very many people would bid on a
brochure containing this information, but the proper text within the
auction description could provide valuable information about the problems
we're talking about.

Here's how to reach a lot more people.

The description in the auction could have a link to a web page giving all
the same information that would be offered in the brochure and more. With
the click of a few buttons, a neophyte meteorite buyer could access a
website offering all kinds of information about meteorites, and more
importantly, meteorwrongs. Ebay allows links to websites that further
describe the item being offered. However, it would have to be a site that
doesn't have an other link to a page offering meteorites for sale.

I think it's doable and could be quite effective. Let's toss the idea
around for a while and see what some of us think about it.

Who currently has an educational webpage devoted to identifying meteorites
and wrongs that we could be linked to?

Best,

John