[meteorite-list] Re: Mercury Meteorite Puzzle

From: colin wade <ceweed_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

Hi folks & greetings
re the pallasite Q

2 ryals worth from Qatar
from the frequency of fals /vs size , it appears to me that the majority of
impacts are smaller ( why should impacts elsewhere be different from our
observations (appart from a million reasons ))
If the majority of meteorite ejecting impacts are lighter , then the surface
layer would be the most affected
since pallasites inhabit the boundary region of larger bodies, their total
mass/ impact cross section ,would be more limited again reducing the
frequency.
If the meteor generating flux is considered uniform for our solar back yard
& after allowing for gravity differentiation by other planets & the sun , &
allowing for the probability of recognition , size of impact for meteorite
escape &,& ......does the meteorite type distribution tell us the rock
distribution of the solar system ie more mass ( or impact area ) for
chondrites form smaller bodies,?

puzzled & off to work now
allthebest
colin