[meteorite-list] Re: IMCA

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

All,

Regarding the IMCA and eBay, I think that only positive messages should be
used. Something like, "Member in good standing of the IMCA. All material
sold is 100% guaranteed to be genuine." Then include the logo.

Simple as that. Anyone who looks around eBay should notice this logo and
text on a lot of meteorite auctions. If they're smart, they should wonder
why the guy claiming to have a "Leonid Meteor" for sale does not have such
a guarantee.

This positive message says _nothing_ about anyone else or their auctions.
Thus, eBay can't get its knickers in a bunch over it.

The only problem is the subtle implication that any dealers who are not
members are somehow suspect. Unfortunately, that problem is there no
matter what. Any time a business is not a member of a professional
organization (take the Better Business Bureau for example) people may
wonder why not. Still, I see it as an important first step. SOMETHING
needs to be done, and eBay won't/can't do it. Who else does that leave?
Just us.

Bob Martino Can you really name a star?
                                   http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
"I look up to the heavens