[meteorite-list] More details....& thanks! Got had & need help.

From: TMS/TNS/HRC <musnat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C200D9.AADE6500

Hello list!

First off, let me thank again everyone who responded so quickly and =
thoughtfully to my dilemma. I so much appreciate the kindness and =
generosity of this list. What a great group of people!

Since I have given the seller ample time to make good, and right this =
situation to no avail I'm going to post all the details of the =
transaction in hopes that no one else will run into the same problems.

The material is pale and orangy/tan in color. Some pieces are slightly =
attracted to a magnet (but obviously less than to a real CD), and others =
are not. They are mostly rather flat and angular with many having a =
layered appearance. The heft is also noticeably lighter than Canyon =
Diablos.

Yes, the purchase was made on Ebay. The auction # is 1088631225 and is =
still available for viewing. The title of the auction is "30+ Pieces of =
Canyon Diablo Meteorite". As you can see, the photo is not the best. I =
have been tracking the seller closely and they have not posted any more =
"meteorite" auctions since the one I bought, just garage sale junk. I =
would be very suprised if they are members of this list, or of the =
"meteorite community" in general. There were some auctions of this =
material sold before mine, however. I do not recognize any of the =
bidders or winners of these auctions but I am not really familiar with =
people's Ebay user IDs. =20

The user's name is Judith McCabe, with a user ID of "j.c.z.inc". This =
is a new user ID. The one in place for the sale of the "meteorite" =
material was "bubbamisen". There was no return address on the box I =
received in the mail, but the post mark was Oswego, NY.

After expressing my dissatisfaction and wish to return the merchandise, =
this is the response I received from the seller:

"The items sent you are deffinetly canyon diablo meteorite as listed in =
issue 5 of the meteorite encyclopedia. If as you say you have indeed =
been a dealer you would know this. We have over 150 satisfied customers =
with this material. And we can prove the material was collected from the =
crater rim. "

I emailed back with a very straightforward and polite reply, explaining =
to the best of my ability why I felt the material was misrepresented and =
asking for an address to return the material. I received no reply.

If anyone has any knowledge of this person, or this auction, or has had =
dealings with her please let me know (on or offlist). I would be =
interested to know. I'll keep everyone posted with what happens, just =
so you know.

I'm also going to try to take some pictures this evening of the material =
I was sent next to some known Canyon Diablos, and if I can get a good =
image I will post it here so you can see it firsthand.
Thank you again everyone, and any more replies I get will be most =
appreciated. =20

Remember Ebayers, it's a jungle out there! : )

Regards to all,
Jeannie Devon
IMCA #9236
The Museum Store/The Nature Source
Anchorage, AK
www.thenaturesource.com

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C200D9.AADE6500

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Hello list!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>First off, let me thank again everyone who responded =
so=20
quickly&nbsp;and thoughtfully&nbsp;to my dilemma.&nbsp; I so much =
appreciate the=20
kindness and generosity of this list.&nbsp; What a great group of=20
people!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Since I have given the seller ample time to make =
good, and=20
right this situation to no avail I'm going to post all the details of =
the=20
transaction in hopes that no one else will run into the same=20
problems.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>The material is pale and orangy/tan in color.&nbsp; =
Some=20
pieces are slightly attracted to a magnet (but obviously less than to a =
real=20
CD), and others are not.&nbsp; They are mostly rather flat and angular =
with many=20
having a layered appearance.&nbsp; The heft is also noticeably lighter =
than=20
Canyon Diablos.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Yes, the purchase was made on Ebay.&nbsp; The =
auction # is=20
1088631225 and is still available for viewing.&nbsp; The title of the =
auction is=20
"30+ Pieces of Canyon Diablo Meteorite".&nbsp; As you can see, the photo =
is not=20
the best.&nbsp; I have been tracking the seller&nbsp;closely and they =
have not=20
posted any more "meteorite" auctions since the one I bought, just garage =
sale=20
junk.&nbsp; I would be very suprised if they are members of this list, =
or of the=20
"meteorite community" in general.&nbsp; There were some auctions of this =

material sold before mine, however.&nbsp; I do not recognize any of the =
bidders=20
or winners of these auctions but I am not really familiar with people's =
Ebay=20
user IDs.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>The user's name is Judith McCabe, with a user ID of=20
"j.c.z.inc".&nbsp; This is a new user ID.&nbsp; The one in place for the =
sale of=20
the "meteorite" material was "bubbamisen".&nbsp; There was no return =
address on=20
the box I received in the mail, but the post mark was Oswego, =
NY.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>After expressing my dissatisfaction and wish to =
return the=20
merchandise, this is the response I received from the =
seller:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"The items sent you are deffinetly canyon diablo meteorite as =
listed in=20
issue 5 of the meteorite encyclopedia. If as you say you have indeed =
been a=20
dealer you would know this. We have over 150 satisfied customers with =
this=20
material. And we can prove the material was collected from the crater =
rim.=20
"</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>I emailed back with a very straightforward and =
polite reply,=20
explaining to the best of my ability why I felt the material was =
misrepresented=20
and asking for an address to return the material.&nbsp; I received no=20
reply.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>If anyone has any knowledge of this person, or this =
auction,=20
or has had dealings with her please let me know (on or offlist).&nbsp; I =
would=20
be interested to know.&nbsp; I'll keep everyone posted with what =
happens, just=20
so you know.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>I'm also going to try to take some pictures this =
evening of=20
the material I was sent next to some known Canyon Diablos, and if I can =
get a=20
good&nbsp;image I will post it here so you can see it =
firsthand.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Thank you again everyone, and any more replies I get =
will be=20
most appreciated.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Remember Ebayers, it's a jungle out there!&nbsp; :=20
)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Regards to all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Jeannie Devon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>IMCA #9236</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>The Museum Store/The Nature Source</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Anchorage, AK</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4><A=20
href=3D"http://www.thenaturesource.com">www.thenaturesource.com</A></FONT=
></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>