[meteorite-list] More details....& thanks! Got had & need help.

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:51 2004

--------------0D4B18F7AB0CCB4B2B14D7A7

Jeannie,
I checked my emails. Not only has this person used the ID's
"j.c.z.inc","bubbamisen", but also as "pahanaswife". Instead of email
name " Judith McCabe," this person replied to me in Feb as Colin Scott.
I am sure this is the same person because the Link to the auction for
"pahanaswife" now shows the ID "j.c.z.inc". (Feb auction - 200 plus
pieces meteorite ) This is one slippery person. When asked I about the
CD meteorites in Feb, I was told the light coloration was from dust as
they had not been cleaned. I then wrote back asking if he would
guarantee these as being metal (nickel/iron) , I have no record of a
reply.
Jeannie, I think the way to get this guy is his own reference to: " It
is forbidden to collect this material now after the federal government
slapped a irreplacable resourse label on it." I have always thought that
this regulation referred to core material and not oxide. If so, he has
trapped himself. However, I don't know where to get more info on this.
Perhaps the someone on the List knows?
I did write "j.c.z.inc" (address - bubbamisen_at_yahoo.com) encouraging
this person to refund the monies only to get a harsh reply threatening
to sue me.( sound familiar?) Hopefully, others will write this
person.(Auction in dispute - Item # 1088285627 ) A large number of
emails could have an attitude adjusting effect.
Best,
Ken Newton
PS - This person also wrote claiming to have 150 satisfied meteorite
customers, yet he has only 16 feedbacks. Of those 16 only 3 are for
Canyon Diablo Meteorites and of those only 2 are different persons.
Where are the other 148?

TMS/TNS/HRC wrote:

> [...]
> people! Since I have given the seller ample time to make good, and
> right this situation to no avail I'm going to post all the details of
> the transaction in hopes that no one else will run into the same
> problems. The material is pale and orangy/tan in color. Some pieces
> are slightly attracted to a magnet (but obviously less than to a real
> CD), and others are not. They are mostly rather flat and angular with
> many having a layered appearance. The heft is also noticeably lighter
> than Canyon Diablos. Yes, the purchase was made on Ebay. The auction
> # is 1088285627 and is still available for viewing. The title of the
> auction is "30+ Pieces of Canyon Diablo Meteorite". As you can see,
> the photo is not the best. I have been tracking the seller closely
> and they have not posted any more "meteorite" auctions since the one I
> bought, just garage sale junk. I would be very suprised if they are
> members of this list, or of the "meteorite community" in general.
> There were some auctions of this material sold before mine, however.
> I do not recognize any of the bidders or winners of these auctions but
> I am not really familiar with people's Ebay user IDs. The user's name
> is Judith McCabe, with a user ID of "j.c.z.inc". This is a new user
> ID. The one in place for the sale of the "meteorite" material was
> "bubbamisen". There was no return address on the box I received in
> the mail, but the post mark was Oswego, NY. After expressing my
> dissatisfaction and wish to return the merchandise, this is the
> response I received from the seller: "The items sent you are
> deffinetly canyon diablo meteorite as listed in issue 5 of the
> meteorite encyclopedia. If as you say you have indeed been a dealer
> you would know this. We have over 150 satisfied customers with this
> material. And we can prove the material was collected from the crater
> rim. " I emailed back with a very straightforward and polite reply,
> explaining to the best of my ability why I felt the material was
> misrepresented and asking for an address to return the material. I
> received no reply. If anyone has any knowledge of this person, or this
> auction, or has had dealings with her please let me know (on or
> offlist). I would be interested to know. I'll keep everyone posted
> with what happens, just so you know. I'm also going to try to take
> some pictures this evening of the material I was sent next to some
> known Canyon Diablos, and if I can get a good image I will post it
> here so you can see it firsthand.Thank you again everyone, and any
> more replies I get will be most appreciated. Remember Ebayers, it's a
> jungle out there! : ) Regards to all,Jeannie DevonIMCA #9236The
> Museum Store/The Nature SourceAnchorage,
> AKwww.thenaturesource.com ______________________________________________

--------------0D4B18F7AB0CCB4B2B14D7A7

Jeannie,
but also as "pahanaswife". Instead of email name " Judith McCabe," this
person replied to me in Feb as Colin Scott.&nbsp; I am sure this is the
same person because the Link to the auction for "pahanaswife" now shows
plus pieces meteorite</a> ) This is one slippery person. When asked I about
the CD meteorites in Feb, I was told the light coloration was from dust
as they had not been cleaned.&nbsp; I then wrote back asking if he would
guarantee these as being metal (nickel/iron) ,&nbsp; I have no record of
a reply.
It is forbidden to collect<b> this materia</b>l now after the federal government
slapped a irreplacable resourse label on it." I have always thought that
this regulation referred to<b> core material</b> and not oxide. If so,
he has trapped himself. However, I don't know where to get more info on
this. Perhaps the someone on the List knows?
this person to refund&nbsp; the monies only to get a harsh reply threatening
to sue me.( sound familiar?)&nbsp;&nbsp; Hopefully, others will write this
person.(Auction in dispute -&nbsp; <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1088285627">Item
# 1088285627</a> )&nbsp; A large number of emails could have an attitude
adjusting effect.
customers, yet he has only 16 feedbacks. Of those 16 only 3 are for Canyon
Diablo Meteorites and of those only 2 are different persons.&nbsp; Where
are the other 148?<font size=+1></font>
off, let me thank again everyone who responded so quickly and thoughtfully
to my dilemma.&nbsp; I so much appreciate the kindness and generosity of
this list.&nbsp; What a great group of people!</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>Since
I have given the seller ample time to make good, and right this situation
to no avail I'm going to post all the details of the transaction in hopes
that no one else will run into the same problems.</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>The
material is pale and orangy/tan in color.&nbsp; Some pieces are slightly
attracted to a magnet (but obviously less than to a real CD), and others
are not.&nbsp; They are mostly rather flat and angular with many having
a layered appearance.&nbsp; The heft is also noticeably lighter than Canyon
Diablos.</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>Yes, the purchase was made on Ebay.&nbsp;
The auction # is 1088285627 and is still available for viewing.&nbsp; The
title of the auction is "30+ Pieces of Canyon Diablo Meteorite".&nbsp;
As you can see, the photo is not the best.&nbsp; I have been tracking the
seller closely and they have not posted any more "meteorite" auctions since
the one I bought, just garage sale junk.&nbsp; I would be very suprised
if they are members of this list, or of the "meteorite community" in general.&nbsp;
There were some auctions of this material sold before mine, however.&nbsp;
I do not recognize any of the bidders or winners of these auctions but
I am not really familiar with people's Ebay user IDs.</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>The
user's name is Judith McCabe, with a user ID of "j.c.z.inc".&nbsp; This
is a new user ID.&nbsp; The one in place for the sale of the "meteorite"
material was "bubbamisen".&nbsp; There was no return address on the box
I received in the mail, but the post mark was Oswego, NY.</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>After
expressing my dissatisfaction and wish to return the merchandise, this
is the response I received from the seller:</font>&nbsp;"The items sent
you are deffinetly canyon diablo meteorite as listed in issue 5 of the
meteorite encyclopedia. If as you say you have indeed been a dealer you
would know this. We have over 150 satisfied customers with this material.
And we can prove the material was collected from the crater rim. "&nbsp;<font size=+1>I
emailed back with a very straightforward and polite reply, explaining to
the best of my ability why I felt the material was misrepresented and asking
for an address to return the material.&nbsp; I received no reply.</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>If
anyone has any knowledge of this person, or this auction, or has had dealings
with her please let me know (on or offlist).&nbsp; I would be interested
to know.&nbsp; I'll keep everyone posted with what happens, just so you
know.</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>I'm also going to try to take some pictures
this evening of the material I was sent next to some known Canyon Diablos,
and if I can get a good image I will post it here so you can see it firsthand.</font><font size=+1>Thank
you again everyone, and any more replies I get will be most appreciated.</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>Remember
Ebayers, it's a jungle out there!&nbsp; : )</font>&nbsp;<font size=+1>Regards