[meteorite-list] Holely Lunar Crusts!?

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:52 2004

May 26, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

Since I am somewhat relaxed and have time, I wish to
comment on this fascinating topic!

If I understood Mr. David Calongne and Mr. Rhett
Bourland correctly, they stated that lunar space rocks
have been found with vesicles --- in their crusts?
What a most intriguing peculiarity if I indeed read
right! Just how and when did this phenomena occur
during the plunge of such a meteorite? (This question
is still under the illusion that the crusts of
meteorites solidify before the time of impact.)

I would have expected (from what I know) not to see
holes in a lunar meteorite's crust or any for that
matter, unless very large. One would naturally think
that the molten outside of a plunging meteorite would
cover over such vesicles.

Thus, here are two theories...

1. Large volumes of gas trapped inside the rock under
the stress of luminous flight were enough to exert
adequate pressure on the molten surface to cause
"escape hatches" to be formed.

2. The holes are a product of weathering, assuming
that the holes were indeed once covered by fusion
crust.

Nevertheless, I could be entirely wrong in the above
possibilities.

It is such an enjoyment to ponder meteoritical
mysteries and the like, and have people to share them
with!

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA