[meteorite-list] Meteorite's Location Found In Siberia

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:13 2004

Hi Ron and all,

Ron Baalke wrote:

I once took a number of meteorites to a store that sold metal detectors to test out.
I tried out various types meteorites with about a dozen different metal detectors.
They all had no problem with the irons and stony-irons. However, all of the metal
detectors had problems detecting stony meteorites. I had to play with the detectors to
fine-tune it to a particular stony meteorite, but once it was fined tuned for
one meteorite, it would tend to ignore a lot of the other stony meteorites.

I have been to metal detector clubs, talking about meteorites and what Ron has said rings true
when we have experimented with various detectors on various stony meteorites. It seems that
you can peak them for certain stones but then others won't register. Perhaps there is some
detector that can be useful over a wider range but I think hunting by eyesight (and on hoof)
may well still be the best method.

Nininger once said, any considerable search over a considerable area WILL yield a meteorite.
The
more eyes, hands and feet you can get out there hunting the better your chances of finding
material.
All my best!

--AL