[meteorite-list] Asteroid Color Clans

From: John Divelbiss <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:13 2004

Hi Al, Rob, Bernd and others,

I think it is wonderful to think we can match types with asteroids that are
labeled and watched.

I have a question. Is it safe to say that what we are doing is matching
spectrums of types with those same specturms for a given asteroid, but not
necessarily committing to say that is probably from that asteroid. In other
words, their maybe(must be) several to hundreds of a given type asteroid out
there. And that one LL4 could come from one rock, and another from a
different rock with the same spectrum on the opposite side of the belt. I
maybe stating the obvious, but for instance I so often read that an HED is
probably from the asteroid Vesta, when in truth it maybe from another one.

I've read McSween and Norton's books amoung others, but I never read/heard
it stated like I'm trying to do...poorly.

Looking for input,

John

 PS Great topic guys