[meteorite-list] Asteroid Color Clans

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:14 2004

Hi all -

It seems to me that instead of the meteorite classes
being tied to one particular asteroid, it is more
likely that ultimately the classes of meteorites (and
some sub-classes not yet separated out) will be tied
to classes of asteroids. In other words, in this
particular case the source may not necessarily Vesta,
but a Vesta-like asteroid.

If there are classes of asteroids, and my guessis that
it will turn out that there are, then you get into the
differentiation problem and the problem of parent body
size.

Wild stuff, but that's how I think this is going to
play out. Hopefully someday soon we'll probably see a
telescope actually placed within the "asteroid belt"
and we'll know the true state with certainty.

ep

--- John Divelbiss <j.divelbiss_at_worldnet.att.net>