[meteorite-list] Asteroid Color Clans

From: John Divelbiss <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:14 2004

EP,

Your scenario is along the lines I was thinking, but the evidence to support
it seems limited at this time. In time we will learn more I'm sure.

As you and others may have noticed, I do not mind exposing my ignorance on a
given subject. Doing so opens up the possiblilty of someone else teaching me
something new, or as you have done...provoke more thinking. Especially on a
subject like this that does not have clear cut answers at this time. Even a
low IQ guy like me can help all of us to think more about a given subject,
which hopefully leads to bringing enlightenment to all of us. My favorite
line in my work is that "I'm dumber than a rock (or meteorite) until I get
it". That applies to rocks from space.

Thanx EP for adding to the discussion. Bernd...what say about all this?

John

PS I still think mesosiderites are just impact melts...different process
(molten collision versus solid collision) maybe, but still an impact formed
texture of stone and metal. Why label it a stoney-iron??? Looks like
Portales Valley and some IMB's should be called stoney iron too. Hmmmm...
there I go again exposing myself to the world.